Logo of the NPA North-Central Mindanao Regional Operational Command. Credits of the image: Philippine Revolution Web Central (PRWC).
The Regional Operational Command North-Central Mindanao of the New People’s Army (NPA), lead by the Communist Party of Philippines, reported on 8th April that they conducted a counter-raid last 30th March against the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (CAFGU), which is an auxiliary military unit of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, and against 58th IB (Infantry Battalion), in the town of Salay, Misamis Oriental province (North-Central Mindanao).
The statement said they killed one CAFGU soldier and wounded three others of the 58IB. The action unfolded as follows: ”The Red fighters were in an active defense mode in the said area due to the active military operation of the 58th IBPA.
On the said day, the NPA monitored the approaching enemy column near their camp hence they boosted their defense. Around 9 am, a Red fighter aimed at the enemy’s advance troop resulting in its sudden death. The Red fighters positioned themselves so they could all fire. The firefight lasted for about 10 minutes.’’
The Philippine State soon reacted with a terror action, and as reported by the NPA’s Regional Operational Command North-Central Mindanao, in the same province of Misamis Oriental a former NPA member was killed on 3rd April. The NPA says that he had no longer been associated with them for a long time. These events were perpetrated by the same 58IB who had been ambushed, and the NPA explains as follows: ”Ricardo Loloy Kabanglas Hilogon, 26 y.o., was brutally killed in front of Diday Hilogon, his wife, by two agents of the 58th Infantry Battalion, Philippine Army at his farm in Sitio Tapol, Brgy. Banglay, Lagonglong, Misamis Oriental on April 3, 2023, 11 am.
Hilogon was from his farm and when he reached his house while chopping logs, he was suddenly approached by two men armed with .45 pistols. He was then shot in front of his wife Diday Hilogon. Hilogon suffered eight gunshots resulting in his death.’’
The Regional Operational Command North-Central Mindanao says that residents of the area and near towns have suffered terror from elements of the 58th IB. The latter threatened they will kill any civilian if a soldier is killed or wounded in an encounter with the NPA. The Hilogon case is the fifth incident after the ambush in which the 58IB suffered casualties in this province.